Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Update on Race Progress

I have only been running 2 days a week since my marathon last October. After the marathon I noticed my left foot would tighten up in the arch and throb on the top (like I had a stress fracture). So I pulled way back from the miles, but wanted to continue to train for a half marathon. I decided to just run the speed workout on Tuesday and the long run on the weekend. Everything else I did cross training on the spin bike that Kevin bought me for the basement. Spinning really helps with my quad strength and also gives my foot a huge rest. On my 38th birthday in April I raced the Great Bay half marathon. On the web site it dares you to run the race because it is so hilly. On the shirt I received at the race it says...these legs completed great bay half....because it is such a hard race. Kevin and I trained with another couple in the ward, York and Jayne. I could not think of anything else better I would like to do on my birthday than run and hang with friends (my family thinks I am a little crazy).

 
My strategy for the race was to just keep it at an 8:00 min. Pace for the first half (the hillier part) and then pick it up the second half. I thought I would just jump in and run with the 8 min. Pacer. I felt really great. The pacer would slow down on the climbs and then let his legs go on the down hills. He ran exactly how I run. At mile 6 I caught up to York and we just started pushing each other. At mile 10 I pulled away and just felt great. I made sure to hydrate and Fuel and everything seemed to work out fine. I finished strong in 1:43:17. I was so surprised that I was able to run that race so fast with only running 2 days a week and with it being so hilly. Just one month later I ran Big Lake half and wanted to beat my PR but ended up running it about the same pace. That half was a little harder than the Great Bay I feel. You have to run uphill for the first 6 miles and then do some serious rolling hills the second half. It was a lot warmer that day and I finished a little slower...I think it was 143:23. Not too shabby though. (around a 7:52 pace)I really want to go to Utah now and run a down hill canyon half (Moab) and see how fast I would be able to run it. I am thinking that I would be able to run it in 138 at least. Maybe someday I will.









finishing metal for Big Lake Half
  So exactly one week after the Big Lake half I ran in an Ultra reach the beach relay. We started at Wachussetts Mtn. In MA and finished at the beach. 200 miles with just 6 ladies in the van. It was amazing. I loved it so much. Every run was a challenge and I was able to complete each one stronger. I ran 6 different legs totaling around 32-33 miles total. It was so invigorating. It had to be one of the best experiences of running that I actually enjoyed. (the marathon is just so grueling) the ladies in my van were awesome. Kelly, Cathleen, Brenda, Lydia,myself and Heather. So great. I averaged an 8:30 pace per mile. Pretty good after racing a hard half the week before.
Swift Chicks at the starting line

The summer has been so busy and I have not been able to run regularly. Right now I am trying to keep up my miles so when Boston training starts I will not be starting fresh. I would like to still run the tufts 10 k with my girls. Even if we walk/run it it will be a fun experience to just be together. I may run a little of the reach the beach NH race. Kevin is signed up to race the ultra and may not be able to complete the whole thing so I may have to run the second half for him. We will see. Also I may start training a little for a November half to race. Just to get me on a schedule of running again.



I love to race, I love to train, I love how my body feels when I am in shape. I will continue to always do something active throughout my life and try to get everyone and anyone I come in contact with to do the same. Embrace life and live it to the fullest.


The Kellys getting ready to run our night runs for Reach the Beach, MA

No comments: