Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Loving the Oatmeal



I cannot believe how much I am loving eating oatmeal every morning. I have been fighting it now for many years. My husband has been telling me to eat oatmeal because it is so good for you and really fills you up and is not very many calories. I used to not eat until after I worked out and then I was starving and I would usually binge...
Now I just look forward to sitting down to a bowl of HOT oatmeal and eating it really slowly. Of course I add a little brown sugar and today I added cinnamon for an extra bonus. I make my oatmeal with water and do not add milk. By the time I am at the last few bites I am really full, but force myself to eat the last little bit because I know I will need the energy for my running.
It has been so hard eating 1500 calories a day and trying to find the energy to put into my runs. I have to keep telling myself that I am losing weight and therefore do not have to run as fast. It is better to keep my heart rate lower anyway because I am in more of a fat burning zone.
I have not seen much of a change, but I just keep telling myself that my body has to eventually see that there is no short term energy to pull from so it will have to go into the long term energy (fat) eventually and pull from there. I do however know that this takes a while and I cannot expect it to just happen in just a few short days. Kristal, you have motivated me so much by looking at your before and after pictures. I need to do that same thing.
I then finish off my breakfast with an 8 oz. glass of V-fusion LIGHT (50 cal. per 8 oz. glass) and it gives me a full serving of vegetables and a full serving of fruit. My whole breakfast consists of about 235 calories total and I am not hungry until lunch.
I usually run after I eat the oatmeal because I have just taken in carbs to give me the quick energy that I need. I then come home and drink a protein shake to refuel and repair the muscle fibers that I have torn down during the run. Don't forget the protein! (I will post later what my favorite protein items are.)

No comments: